Awesomeness Has Flavor
Just a person trying to find a little awesome within this world.
My Top Ten First Impressions of the Summer 2011 Anime Season
Thought I'd finish off that first impressions thing I started making, so here's all the anime I watched ranked in order from worst to greatest. Hope you like it. Now this is based off of the first episode, or first couple of episodes that I watched, so don't go counting it as a full review.

10. Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi: This is trash; kind of enertaining trash, but trash nonetheless.

9. Mayo Chiki: Not exactly trash as it has likable lead characters and pulls off a couple of laughs, but nothing else in this anime is above 'Painful to watch' when it comes to standard ecchi fare.

8. Uta-No-Prince Sama: I actually liked this as a guilty pleasure, it had a couple of good moments and while the cast isn't exactly well-rounded their all likable; however I cannot put this any higher up on the list because for every moment I was wowed for the beautiful animation and offbeat wackiness I was reminded this is pretty much the female version of the ecchi shows I so harshly cirticize.

7. Kami-sama no Memo-chou: This would be higher on the list if it weren't for one reason; first lets talk about the good things, the animation is solid, the story set ups and finishes are great, and the idea of a 'NEET DETECTIVE' is both original and hits my mystery show sweet spot; now onto my fault with this anime, which is a pretty big fault, both of the main characters are terrible; the girl is a pretentious slob who has to be waited on hand and foot and the guy is a pushover cardboard cutter anime male protagonist.

6. Sacred Seven: This is being pushed above Kami-sama no Memo-chou simply for the fact that I love the animation and lead characters, besides that this is a pretty standard super-hero show with a bit of a sci-fi mix thrown in and a premise that takes a few episodes of explanation to understand.

5.5 Ikokuko Meiro no Croisse: This is one of those anime with no important quest to save the world, no enemies to face, but still manages to tell a story nonetheless. Ikoku Meiro no Croisse is beautiful, soft and makes up for its lack of grand storyline with a good cast of characters.

5. Baka to Test to Shokanjuu Ni! : The shounen comedy show back for its second season, and its a good return to form; the first episode would have scored higher on the list if it weren't beach filler, you know that thing thats in every anime ever made.

4. No. 6: An anime that made me fall in love with it from the premise only, it suffers a little because the anime jumps seven years from the first episode to the second, and a bit of the pseudo-science requires a bit of disbelief, but otherwise its a great sci-fi anime, and hits my dystopian sweet spot.

3. Dantalian no Shoka: Random-ass lion demon summoned by a book. Thats all I need to say. Also its all mysterious and victorian, and the main characters have really good chemistry, (And cool hair).

2. Mawaru Penguindrum: Yes, the first episode is a bit hard to understand, and it gets a bit trippy at time, but it was also very emotionally touching to watch characters I'd only known for eight minutes cry at the loss of their sister. Any anime that manages to pull you in like that is good. I also love the shoujo artstyle, the theme of fate, and the hint of a much darker plot hiding under the glitzy cutesiness.

1. Usagi Drop: I think I'm starting to love Josei more than any other demographic, because this anime had me hooked from the first episode. It had an interesting premise, but it executes it very well. Its just so heartwarming, and the artstyle is so cool, and the characters are so good. There are a hundred good things I can say about the anime.
0 Comments:

Post a Comment